Being involved in a car accident can change your life fast. One moment, you may be on your way to work like any other day, and you could find yourself dealing with a damaged vehicle, physical injuries, and emotional stress in the next instant. While the concept of a personal injury attorney is likely familiar to you, you may have never expected to be in a situation where you needed to hire one.
It is normal to feel overwhelmed, frustrated, and anxious after a car accident. You may not know what to do or where to turn for help. You may be wondering, “Do I even need to hire an attorney after my car accident?” Or, “What options do I have?”
The truth is, every car accident is unique. In order to make an informed decision based on the individual facts of your case, a free consultation with the legal team at Gould Injury Law can help. As “The Fast Firm,” you can expect us to understand that time is of the essence.
Choose Gould Injury Law to get legal help as fast as possible! Call us today at 888-WIN-FAST to schedule your free consultation.
When You Need a Car Accident Attorney?
Studies have shown that personal injury victims who are represented by a lawyer tend to receive 3.5 times more compensation than those who opt to represent themselves. The study also showed that in the vast majority of claims that resulted in any settlement whatsoever, the injured party worked with an attorney.
While it is true that most cases benefit from the assistance of a car accident attorney, there are some situations in which working with a lawyer is especially helpful.
If you were partially responsible for the collision
Connecticut follows a modified comparative negligence system for car accidents. Here, unlike in “No Fault” states, a person’s ability to recover compensation for their losses depends on his or her level of fault.
In Connecticut, a person can recover compensation if he or she is 51 percent or less at fault for the accident. However, the amount of compensation available may be reduced by the percentage of fault.
Imagine a scenario in which the total financial losses were $100,000. The injured victim was speeding and found to be 20 percent at fault for the crash. In this scenario, he or she would be able to receive up to $80,000.
The reason this matters is because insurance companies are always looking for ways to reduce or even eliminate a settlement. To do this, they often try to pin more fault on the victim, thereby minimizing the actions of the other driver.
Experienced car accident attorneys are aware of these tactics and fight back to protect the rights of their clients. Insurance companies are also more likely to play fair when they know that the injured victim is being represented by a knowledgeable lawyer.
If the damages are extensive
Some collisions are minor, resulting in minimal property damage or medical injuries. As a general rule, any claims that are less than the Connecticut small claims court limit of $5,000 do not require the help of a car accident attorney.
However, many car accidents result in serious injuries that require extensive medical treatment and time off work. The damages in these cases can easily start adding up to tens of thousands of dollars, or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. These cases can especially benefit from the assistance of an experienced car accident lawyer.
Serious injuries can include:
- Broken bones or fractures
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Loss of a body part
If a government agency or commercial driver was at fault
Even a seemingly straightforward car accident can quickly become complex when the responsible party was a government agency or a commercial company. The same is true in rideshare accidents, perhaps involving Uber or Lyft.
A lawyer is helpful in these cases for two main reasons:
- Specific laws and legal precedents come into play: A lawyer who has experience with these more complex cases is well-versed in the local laws that apply. He or she will be better able to advise you on the best course of action and the various options available.
- The other side likely has its own legal team: Since the other side is most likely working with legal representation, facing them alone makes for an uneven playing field. You need an experienced and fast-working legal professional on your side fighting for your rights.
If there were multiple at-fault parties involved in the crash
Another situation that can make a car accident claim more complex is when there were multiple parties involved. True, the majority of car accidents are caused by driver negligence. However, in some cases, more than one party played a role in the collision.
For example, imagine a driver is driving recklessly; he is both speeding and distracted by his phone. Thus, he fails to notice that the car in front of him comes to a stop, and he rear-ends the vehicle. In such a case, driver negligence clearly played a role in the accident.
However, what if there were another factor? Suppose his brakes were not functioning properly, causing him to be unable to stop or slow down in time. Such a mechanical issue could have played a role in the severity of the collision.
Depending on the circumstances of the collision, a car parts manufacturer or another party may also be found partially liable.
As you can see, identifying all the potentially liable parties is a major step in recovering full compensation. That’s why we do not cut corners, even though we are known as “The Fast Firm.”
When the car accident lawyers of Gould Injury Law take on a case, our legal team takes the time needed to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of the accident to identify additional liable parties. This can open the way for our clients to recover maximum compensation for their losses.
Essential Steps After a Car Accident
The hours immediately after a car accident can be extremely stressful and overwhelming. However, whether you decide to seek legal representation or not, there are some essential steps you can take after an accident that can strengthen your case.
To improve your chances of a speedy and fair recovery, make sure to:
- Receive medical attention as fast as possible, for both your physical well-being and that of your case. Some injuries are obvious immediately after an accident, but others can take time before any symptoms appear. Seeing a doctor as soon as possible after a collision ensures that any injuries are noticed right away so treatment can begin as soon as necessary. Additionally, seeing a doctor ensures that documentation of your injuries dates back to the accident, which can help strengthen your potential claim.
- Contact a car accident attorney for a fast, free consultation. You may be unsure whether you need to hire a lawyer or not after your collision. Whether you decide to hire an attorney or not, the car accident lawyers at Gould Injury Law are available for free, no-commitment consultations. Your free conversation can provide you with helpful legal advice and help you be informed of your legal rights and the various options available to you. You can also learn to identify and avoid common pitfalls when talking with the insurance company.
- Do not accept a settlement before you know all the facts. In the crucial hours and days after an accident, the insurance company may try to offer a settlement, applying pressure to accept it right away. However, once you accept a settlement, you are barred from recovering additional compensation later. So it is important that you avoid accepting any settlement too fast. You should not accept any amount until you are sure what the total damages are, including current and future losses such as medical treatment, physical therapy, and lost wages.
Turn to Gould Injury Law for Help After Your Car Accident
A car accident that causes serious injuries can turn your life upside down in an instant. If someone else’s negligence caused or contributed to your car accident, be assured that you deserve fair compensation for your losses.
During this time when you are most likely stressed, overwhelmed, and suffering from both physical and emotional trauma, you need a legal team you can turn to for reliable legal advice and representation. The team at Gould Injury Law is ready to offer legal support as fast as you need it after a car accident.
At Gould Injury Law, we are dedicated to providing our clients with legal representation that is:
- Fast: You and your family need to recover compensation as fast as possible so you can move forward after your collision.
- Tough: The insurance companies need to know that you are not alone, and we are not afraid to stand and fight for our clients.
- Committed: You are an individual, not a number. Our lawyers take the time to listen to our clients to really understand their needs.
- Experienced: The personal injury lawyers at our firm have an in-depth knowledge of local laws, insurance policies, precedents, and other complex areas to better serve your interests.
Whether you have decided on legal representation or you are still not sure, contact Gould Injury Law today for a free consultation. Our team will be happy to consult with you on the details of your case to provide the advice you need. Call us today at 888-WIN-FAST to schedule your free consultation!