The privilege of driving is a wonderful convenience. You can easily get to where you need to go, but sometimes negligent driving can disrupt your plans. Car accidents happen every day. Sometimes a collision is just a fender-bender, but other times it’s more serious and causes injuries.

When you have a car insurance plan that covers your accident, you may be put at ease. In that case, you won’t have to worry much because you can recover from damages and recoup losses. But what happens if the other vehicle is uninsured?

If you have been in an accident with an uninsured vehicle, call Gould Injury Law today. We can help you get this mess sorted out fast.

Can You Get Compensation If the Other Car is Uninsured?

Whether or not you can receive compensation after a car accident with an uninsured vehicle depends on your policy. Sometimes, you can file a claim with your insurance company or you can file a lawsuit against the at-fault party.

It can be challenging, however, to recover damages when the other party doesn’t have insurance or is underinsured. Perhaps you can get money from your insurer, but some companies are unwilling to pay claims involving an uninsured driver.

Understanding the difference between an “uninsured” and “underinsured” driver can assist you when filing your claim. Your personal injury lawyer will know what to do to help you recover losses and get your money faster.

What is the Difference Between an Uninsured Driver and an Underinsured Driver?

Simply put, an uninsured driver does not have auto insurance. An underinsured driver does not have enough money to cover the damages and injuries sustained. Dealing with an uninsured or underinsured driver after a collision can add to your stress. A wise option to escape this situation would be to get uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.

Connecticut’s Laws on Auto Insurance

Connecticut law requires that all drivers carry liability insurance coverage for their vehicles. If you are liable for causing a car accident, this coverage helps with the cost of property damage and injury to other involved parties.

Purchasing auto insurance seems like an obvious choice when buying a car. Unfortunately, some drivers choose not to get insured for one reason or another. According to the Insurance Information Institute, 6.3 percent of motorists in Connecticut are uninsured.

Connecticut requires drivers to carry uninsured and underinsured coverage as well. This is a practical condition, because liability coverage doesn’t cover your own injuries and property damage. Rather, it only pays for the victim’s losses if you are at fault in a car accident. But you want to protect yourself in case the other party can’t cover your damages.

Car insurance coverage in Connecticut

Most states require their residents to carry auto insurance. Before an accident occurs, you want to make sure you have adequate car insurance. Even the most cautious drivers can end up in a collision.

There is a certain amount of money you can get from your policy to pay for damages and losses. Gould Injury Law wants you to be informed about how much money you can receive to cover these costs. Listed below are Connecticut’s mandatory insurance limits.

The minimum amount of insurance required

As a Connecticut resident, you must get a minimum of $25,000 liability coverage. However, this depends on several factors.

You are required to have a minimum of:

  • $25,000 per person liability coverage
  • $50,000 per accident for bodily injury liability coverage
  • $25,000 per accident for property damage liability coverage
  • $25,000 per person for uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
  • $50,000 per accident in uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage

Some accidents can cause major injuries to the passengers of the other vehicle. If you are at fault in a collision, bodily injury liability coverage can help you pay for the victim’s medical expenses. On the other hand, property damage liability will cover the cost of property repairs to the other person’s vehicle.

These policies, however, do not pay for your injuries. Uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance covers the cost of your medical expenses and damages.

What is Uninsured Motorist Coverage?

An uninsured driver is someone who has no auto insurance. If such a motorist hits you, you have two options: You can receive compensation for bodily injury and/or for property damage.

Uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage can help with medical expenses for both your injuries and your passenger’s injuries.

You can add uninsured motorist coverage to your plan when you purchase auto insurance. The cost could be around 5 percent of your annual premium.

What is Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

Sometimes an underinsured driver has insurance but the coverage is insufficient for all damages suffered. In this instance, your underinsured coverage can help with the remaining expenses.

The underinsured motorist coverage policy covers both bodily harm and property damage. Drivers in Connecticut are required to purchase auto insurance that includes uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.

What Should You Do After a Car Accident With an Uninsured Driver?

It’s easy to assume that the other driver is insured, but some people drive without sufficient insurance or any coverage at all because their income limits them. Colliding with an uninsured or underinsured driver can happen when you least expect it. You need to know what your options will be if you are ever in an accident with an uninsured driver.

It is important to note that some insurance companies may be hesitant to accept your claim involving an uninsured driver. You may have to pay for your expenses out-of-pocket.

If you are in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, Gould Injury Law can advise you on what to do. We can help you resolve the insurance claims fast. Contact us today at 888-WIN-FAST for a free consultation.

The Steps to Take After an Accident with an Uninsured/Underinsured Driver

The steps you take after an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver are similar to those recommended for other types of collisions, but dealing with an uninsured or underinsured driver can be complicated. There are some extra precautions to take.

If possible, make sure to:

  1. See a doctor – and fast, even first thing after the accident, if possible. Some injuries may be instantly recognizable, but some symptoms take time to show. You may require medical treatment. If you get a full check-up soon after the accident, you can receive the right amount of compensation for your losses.
  2. Obtain the police report. The police need to file a report with details that can be used as evidence against the at-fault motorist. An uninsured driver may not want to deal with the police, but it is in your best interest to get an official report. This will help greatly with your claim or lawsuit.
  3. Collect evidence at the scene. After a traumatic car accident, you may be flustered and focused on getting your injuries treated. It is important, however, to get pictures of the scenes, vehicle damage, the at-fault driver’s license plate, and injuries. If there were surveillance cameras or a dashboard camera to record this evidence, it would be helpful and could help you reach a fair settlement faster.
  4. Get the other driver’s contact information and insurance information (though he or she may be underinsured). Try talking to witnesses who were present at the scene and find out if they would give a statement. A witness statement can strengthen your case.
  5. Do not rush to take an uninsured driver to court. The driver may be uninsured, with little money or assets to repay damages. If so, you may not receive compensation that is enough to provide for your needs. Consult an experienced car accident lawyer before making any major legal decisions. The lawyer will review your case and let you know how much compensation you can receive.

Managing all of these tasks on your own can be exhausting. Hiring an attorney to guide you through the necessary procedures, though, will lighten your load.

There is a deadline in Connecticut for filing uninsured or underinsured motorist claims. An experienced car accident attorney will build a strong case for you and ensure your documents are filed on time.

The Statute of Limitations for Filing a UM/UIM Claim in CT

For your reference, an uninsured motorist is also known as a UM, and an underinsured motorist is referred to as a UIM.

The time you have to file a UM or UIM claim for a car accident varies. Most Connecticut auto insurance policies include a 3-year deadline for filing a claim. Some insurance companies can give you up to 30 days from the accident to report your case.

As you can see, either way, fast action is required on your part.

Remember, Connecticut car accident laws can be tricky. Filing a claim or lawsuit can become a lengthy and arduous process, but Gould Injury Law’s attorneys can help make the process go by smoother and faster.

Contact Gould Injury Law Today for a Fast Resolution

Drivers with auto insurance hope to file a claim and receive compensation as soon as possible. However, there is a long process to follow.

If you’ve been injured by a driver with no insurance or insufficient insurance, things can get complicated – fast. You need to collect evidence, attend to your injuries, and prove your claim to the insurance company. If your insurance company refuses to get involved with a UM or UIM claim, that becomes an even bigger headache for you.

We know how stressful these claims processes can be. The attorneys at Gould Injury Law want you to get through this and get compensated faster and sooner, rather than later. We pride ourselves on achieving fast and fair compensation for our clients. 

Call us today. Dial 888-WIN-FAST and schedule your free initial consultation with one of our Connecticut car accident lawyers.