You are out shopping and all of a sudden you slip and fall. You are scared and in pain. What do you do now? Slipping and falling in a store can lead to serious injuries, so it is important to understand what happens after a slip-and-fall incident.
As it turns out, there are certain steps that must be taken in order to ensure that your rights as a consumer are protected. After a slip-and-fall, you need to select an experienced lawyer who knows how to get you fast results.
At Gould Injury Law, we are a law firm dedicated to getting fast results for our clients. We have an aggressive and experienced team of lawyers who will fight for you to get the compensation you deserve. Don’t wait – call Gould Injury Law today. Contact us at 888-WIN-FAST or fill out the online contact form to schedule a free consultation.
What Should You Do After a Slip-and-Fall?
Slip-and-fall accidents can happen anywhere, to anyone. These are especially common in places like department stores where there are large crowds and lots of activity. If you have been injured in such an accident, you may be wondering what your situation is. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and damages.
Follow these steps to protect your rights:
- Get the name and contact information of any witnesses
- Take photographs and videos of the scene of the accident and of any injuries you sustained
- Let a nearby store employee know that you have been injured and ask him or her to call a manager or supervisor
- Make note of any video surveillance cameras that may have captured the accident
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible after the accident
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you understand your legal rights and options
If it is determined that the store was negligent, you may be able to recover damages. You may file a personal injury lawsuit or premises liability claim. Compensation in these cases can include medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. An experienced attorney can help you navigate this process and fight for the compensation you deserve.
You Have the Right to Receive Medical Attention
There are a number of common injuries that can be caused by slipping and falling, including:
- Sprains and fractures: When you slip and fall, you can often end up twisting or injuring your ankle, knee, or wrist; this can lead to painful sprains or fractures
- Head injuries: If you hit your head when you fall, you could end up with a concussion or other serious head injury
- Back injuries: Slipping and falling can also cause injuries to your back, neck, or spine, which are injuries that can be extremely painful and may require long-term treatment.
If you have been injured in a slip-and-fall accident, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. In some cases, these types of injuries can have lasting effects when they are not treated properly.
Who is Responsible for Your Injuries?
There are a few different people who could be held responsible for your injuries if you slip and fall at a store. For example:
- The store owner may be held liable for being aware of the hazardous condition that caused your fall but did nothing to fix it or warn customers about it
- The company that designed or manufactured the flooring or other item you tripped on may be held liable if it was defective in some way
- The store owner or manager may be held liable for failing to take steps to fix an existing hazard or to warn customers about it despite being aware of it
- If an employee caused the hazard (e.g. by mopping the floor without putting up a wet floor sign), the store may be held liable for negligence
- If you fell because of a defective product, then the manufacturer of that product may be held liable
You May Have the Right to File a Lawsuit
Slipping and falling at a store can be a terrifying experience, but it is important to remember that you have rights. If the slip, trip, or fall was caused by negligence on the part of the store, then you may be eligible to file for compensation.
You will need to prove that the store was negligent in causing or preventing your accident. This can be difficult to do if there is no clear evidence of negligence on the part of the store.
Contact the experienced lawyers at Gould Injury Law. Our legal team can provide proper advice on how to proceed with your claim or lawsuit.
Having a clear understanding of what happens when you slip and fall can help ensure that justice is served. You also improve your chances of getting a fair settlement for any damages incurred due to someone else’s negligence.
Working fast to protect your rights is important because there are time limits on how long you have to file. If you wait too long, you could miss out on your chance to get the money you need.
When you are hurt, you want fast justice. When you hire us, we will do everything in our power to make that happen. Don’t let yourself become another statistic – stay on top of your legal rights as a consumer, and act fast to ensure your case is treated fairly.
What is a Premises Liability Claim?
Premises liability holds property owners responsible for accidents that occur on their properties.
There are three main elements to a premises liability claim: duty, breach, and causation:
- The first element, duty, requires proof that the defendant owed the plaintiff a duty of care
- The second element, breach, requires the plaintiff to prove that the defendant breached that duty of care, and;
- The third element, causation, requires the plaintiff to prove that the liable party’s breach of duty was the cause of the accident or injury
To win your case, you need to prove that the property owner knew or should have known about the dangerous condition. You also need to show that he or she failed to take reasonable steps to fix the problem. You will also need to show that you were injured as a result of the dangerous condition.
What Damages Can You Recover?
The answer depends on a number of factors. This includes the severity of your injuries and the amount of medical bills you have incurred. Your total recoverable damages also depend on whether the store owner was negligent in maintaining the property. If indeed negligent, he or she can be held liable for any accidents or injuries that occur.
A few different types of damages that you may be able to recover if you slip and fall at a store include:
- Medical expenses: If you were injured in the fall, you may be able to recover your medical expenses. This includes any ambulance fees, hospital bills, or costs for rehabilitative care
- Lost wages: If you missed work because of your injuries, you may be able to recover your lost wages. This includes both the wages you would have earned had you not been injured and any benefits you would have received.
- Pain and suffering: You may also be able to recover damages for the pain and suffering caused by your injuries. This includes both physical and emotional suffering.
- Property damage: If you damaged any personal property in the fall, you may be able to recover the cost of repairs or replacements
- Punitive damages: In some cases, you may be able to recover punitive damages. if the store was grossly negligent or willfully violated any safety laws
- Legal fees: You may be able to recover the cost of any legal fees incurred in filing a claim
Call Gould Injury Law for Fast Results After Being Injured in a Slip-and-Fall Accident
If you have been involved in a slip-and-fall accident, you may be wondering what to do next. You may be feeling overwhelmed and unsure of where to turn. The first step is to seek out a lawyer who can help you understand your rights and options.
At Gould Injury Law, we are dedicated to getting fast results for our clients. We understand that when you have been injured in an accident, you want to get back to your life as soon as possible. That is why we work tirelessly and fast to get you the settlements you deserve in a timely manner.
We have years of experience handling slip and fall claims and lawsuits. We know how to navigate the insurance claims process and get our clients the maximum possible settlement. We also work on a contingency basis, which means we do not get paid unless and until you do.
We understand that when you are injured, you need help right away. That is why we offer free consultations and work quickly to get you the compensation you deserve. You deserve a fast settlement so you can move forward with your recovery.
When we take on your case, we will review your case and let you know what we think your best course of action is. Call the fast-working personal injury lawyers of Gould Injury Law. To schedule a free consultation with one of us, call us today at 888-WIN-FAST or complete our online contact form.