East Haven, CT Wrongful Death Lawyers
Wrongful death occurs when a person dies due to the reckless or negligent actions–intentional or unintentional–of another person. After tragically losing a loved one in death, family members are left to try and pick up the pieces. The loss of a loved one takes an extreme emotional toll on a family and can cause other challenges such as economic hardships. You just want to recover emotionally, but you can’t do this as fast as you like until you receive compensation to ease some of your stress.
The wrongful death lawyers at Gould Injury Law care about the residents of East Haven, CT. If you have lost a family member due to a wrongful death accident, we want to help you. Our personal injury lawyers have handled wrongful death claims throughout the State of Connecticut and obtained millions of dollars for our clients. As your attorneys, we will fight aggressively and act fast to seek financial compensation for your loss. Call 888-WIN-FAST to schedule your initial free consultation.
Wrongful Death Claims Under Connecticut Law
Wrongful death lawsuits in Connecticut are controlled by statutes. In most cases, a lawsuit may be filed when a wrongful death is brought about by another person, government, or entity.
Connecticut law differs from other states in that a CT wrongful death lawsuit cannot be brought about by any surviving close relative. A wrongful death claim can only be filed by the personal representative or executor of the decedent’s estate. The court will disperse any damages awarded in the lawsuit according to the terms of the decedent’s will. In situations where there is no existing will, the court will appoint a personal representative.
The Connecticut wrongful death lawyers at Gould Injury Law can help guide you through the claims process. Our firm, known as “The Fast Firm,” has decades of experience handling these types of lawsuits, and we are passionate about seeking justice for our clients. There is a statute of limitations for filing a wrongful death claim in Connecticut, so don’t delay to schedule an appointment with one of our CT wrongful death attorneys.
Examples of Wrongful Death Cases We Handle
Wrongful death can result from different types of causes, some intentional and others unintentional. The following are examples of a few of the many wrongful death cases we handle:
- Motor vehicle accidents: Thousands of people die each year as a result of car, truck, or motorcycle accidents. These collisions may be the result of an equipment malfunction or another driver’s speeding, tailgating, aggressive driving, or disobeying the law in some way.
- Medical malpractice: Doctors, nurses, and all medical professionals must uphold a high standard of care. However, all too often these standards are not met and result in patient fatalities.
- Animal attacks: Owners of dogs or other animals have a responsibility to keep their pets under control when around other people. If an animal attacks someone or in some way causes a fatality, the owner may be held legally accountable.
- Workplace accidents: Workplaces are required by law to put certain standards in place to protect employees. When these safety protocols are not properly implemented, fatal accidents may occur and the workplace could be held liable.
- Product liability: Companies have a responsibility to ensure that the products that consumers are purchasing have been tested and proven safe. Many fatalities occur each year from food poisoning, tampering, unsafe packaging and manufacturing, and lack of product safety warnings.
What Damages Can Be Recovered?
If you have lost someone you love in a wrongful death accident, the personal injury attorneys at Gould Injury Law understand that no amount of money can take away your pain. However, damages awarded to you in a lawsuit or settlement can help take financial burdens off of your family’s shoulders and hopefully provide some security for you moving forward. That’s why you need compensation as fast as possible.
Depending on the circumstances surrounding your case, your lawyer may seek compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Property damage
- Loss of future earnings
- Funeral costs
- Loss of inheritance
- Pain and suffering and/or mental anguish
- Loss of companionship
- Punitive damages, to punish the guilty party
Why Hire a Wrongful Death Lawyer
The opposing party is likely to have a representative from his or her insurance company to provide legal defense. Regardless of how friendly insurance agents are, they are not your friends. They may try to obtain information from you that can be used against your claim.
It is recommended to never speak to an insurance agent without your lawyer present. He or she is working fast to trick you into settling for less than your claim is worth, but we’re faster.
The fast-working wrongful death lawyers at Gould Injury Law are familiar with the tactics that insurance companies use. After taking on your case, we will handle all negotiations with the opposing party’s insurance company. We will be thorough in investigating the death of your loved one, examining key evidence, and coming up with the best possible strategy for your case. Our lawyers will work fast to get your claim settled for the maximum amount possible while doing all we can to make the process easy for you.
Contact Gould Injury Law Today
The death of a child, parent, or spouse is a traumatic time for any family. While money cannot erase the pain you feel, it can help ease the financial burdens that could interfere with your ability to grieve. If you have lost a loved one in a wrongful death accident, contact Gould Injury Law today. Our Connecticut wrongful death attorneys have extensive knowledge and experience helping family members who have lost loved ones.
We care about the residents of East Haven and will fight aggressively in pursuit of justice for you. Our personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, which means that you don’t spend anything out of pocket. We get paid only if and when you receive a settlement for your case.
Fill out our online evaluation form or call 888-WIN-FAST to schedule your free consultation.