East Haven, CT Truck Accident Lawyer
Connecticut has major interstate routes linking parts of New England. These routes are well-traveled by countless trucks that play a crucial role in the nation's logistics and supply chain. However, the large size and high traffic volume of trucks on the state's highways and interstate routes means that there's an increased chance of dangerous accidents occurring. Unfortunately, truck accidents are often catastrophic with many turning fatal.
Legally speaking as well, accident cases involving trucks are not like regular car accident cases. If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident with a truck, you need a highly-skilled truck accident lawyer who gets fast results. These cases are often more complex than other vehicle collision cases and require the assistance of highly experienced East Haven, CT, truck accident attorneys.
At Gould Injury Law, our personal injury and accident lawyers are skilled, aggressive, and very particular about getting your compensation fast. We aim to help you eliminate all forms of worry about medical costs and living expenses while undergoing treatment.
Let us help you get the compensation you deserve today. Contact our East Haven, Connecticut law firm today at 888-WIN-FAST to schedule a free consultation.
Dangers of Trucks in East Haven, CT
Trucks and other heavy vehicles can cause terrible damage to other vehicles if there’s a collision between the truck and the other vehicle. Trucks weigh about 80,000 pounds –about 25 times more than a regular vehicle–and are between 70 and 80 feet long.
At 70 miles an hour, trucks carry about the same force as a regular-sized car doing 400 miles an hour. This is because large vehicles have greater kinetic energy than regular-sized vehicles.
This kinetic energy is why accidents between trucks and passenger vehicles are often gravely serious or even fatal. The occupants of smaller vehicles are more likely to sustain catastrophic injuries in such accidents.
Also, the height, build, and weight of these trucks enable them to inflict maximum damage on smaller vehicles upon a collision. Trucks traveling at 70 miles an hour are known to have enough force to climb over and/or crush up to 10 stationary smaller-sized cars.
If you or someone you love has sustained serious or life-threatening injuries in a truck accident, don't wait until it's too late. Contact “The Fast Firm,” Gould Injury Law, at 888-WIN-FAST to schedule a free case evaluation and speak to one of our truck accident attorneys.
What are the Common Types of Personal Injury in Truck Accidents?
Trucks and other heavy commercial vehicles tend to crush smaller passenger vehicles in accidents. As a result, it's rare for passengers of smaller passenger vehicles, pedestrians, motorcycles, or bicycles to escape unscathed.
This is probably why 21.2 percent of fatalities recorded in accidents in the state of Connecticut involve large trucks. For those who aren’t killed on impact in truck accidents, the injuries can be very severe. Some of these include:
- Brain damage
- Traumatic brain injury
- Loss of limbs
- Crushed ribs
- Spinal injuries–Often causing temporary or permanent paralysis in victims
- Back, neck and/or waist injuries
- Broken bones and dislocations-Usually the lower extremities
- Internal bleeding
- Head injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Soft tissue damage–Sprains involving the tendons and cartilages
- Knee injury
- Temporary or permanent loss of sight and hearing
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Permanent disability
- Lacerations, burns, or bruises
- Death from injuries or upon impact
These are just some of the more common injuries that you may have to deal with if you’re involved in a truck accident. But there are many other possible injuries that only seasoned truck accident lawyers can help you identify.
Gould Injury Law's truck accident lawyers are what you need if you want to get adequate compensation for your pain and suffering. Call our personal injury law firm today at 888-WIN-FAST to discuss your accident case at no charge.
What Causes Truck Accidents in East Haven, CT?
Trucks are meant to be driven by experienced and qualified individuals. Federal and state laws actually mandate all truck drivers to have the required qualifications and adhere to a strict set of driving rules. This is why commercial driver's licenses are only given to proven truckers and drivers.
It's also why these drivers are held to a higher standard of road usage on the highways, interstate routes, and inner-city roads. This makes sense because of the size of the trucks and their potential danger to other road users.
After many years of handling truck collision cases in East Haven and throughout Connecticut, we've seen a pattern in these cases. Some of the more common causes include:
- Lack of or inadequate experience–This usually arises when a trucking company is understaffed and hires untrained drivers to do their deliveries.
- Aggressive driving–Aggressive driving can include failing to yield, running a red light, speeding through a stop sign, failing to indicate before overtaking or changing lanes, and speeding during inclement weather.
- Distracted driving–Distractions may involve taking phone calls, engaging in conversations, texting, or looking for items in the cab while driving.
- Driving above the posted speed limit.
- Driving under the influence–This is known as either DUI or DWI in Connecticut.
- Bad road design–Connecticut's highways have too many left-hand exits. This can lead to sudden braking in the middle of the roadway, putting other drivers in danger.
- Poor driving habits among Connecticut's locals–Connecticut residents are often guilty of tailgating other vehicles. This leaves them with little to no reaction time if the vehicles in front of them stop or swerve suddenly.
- Rushed driving schedules–This often results in drowsy driving or sleeping behind the wheels for drivers. It can also mean an overwhelmed schedule which forces them to exceed the required driving hours just to meet up with deadlines.
- Poor truck maintenance–Trucks sometimes must travel for hundreds of miles per trip. This increases their wear and tear, thus making maintenance a priority. Without these, the parts can weaken over time and fail while in transit, thus causing an accident.
- Cargo that exceeds the approved maximum weight.
- Badly done cargo strapping–This can cause the container or cargo to fall off while it’s being transported.
These are some of the more common causes of truck accidents which may cause you significant harm. Keep in mind that these same factors are a good reason for you to be careful when driving alongside trucks on the road.
Why is a Truck Accident Different?
The average car accident case in Connecticut is relatively straightforward. Your lawyer just has to determine the degree to which one or both parties are at fault, contact their insurance companies, and file for compensation.
However, truck accident cases in Connecticut are more complicated. This is because there are more entities involved than in the typical vehicle collision. Thus, the likelihood of multiple liabilities is higher. When Gould Injury Law takes on your case, the first thing we’ll do is determine who is responsible for you or your loved one's pain and suffering.
Some of the things we look at include:
- The truck driver's actions while behind the wheel and his or her state of mind
- The role of the truck driver's company–An overworked driver is likely to make a series of mistakes that ultimately result in an accident
- The state of the truck when it was driven out of the yard–This also means checking to see if there's a history of the company neglecting maintenance routines
- The people responsible for loading the cargo–We will determine if they did a good job of properly loading and securing the cargo before the truck departed from their stop or garage
- Truck mechanics responsible for carrying out repairs and maintenance
- Witnesses of the accident or other drivers likely involved
- Truck parts manufacturer–We will investigate to see if the truck was using defective parts that were recalled or are in the process of being recalled
Because of the complex nature of truck accidents, every lawyer handling a truck accident case in Connecticut requires hands-on experience. Having a qualified truck collision lawyer from Gould Injury Law handle your case is the only way to get the various Connecticut insurance companies involved, to pay you the actual settlement you deserve.
How Can Gould Injury Law in East Haven, CT Help?
The complex nature of each truck accident case means that it might take a while before your claim reaches a resolution. This is why you can't just hand your case over to a law firm without the experience or resources to make your case a strong one.
For a Connecticut accident law firm that prides itself on delivering fast outcomes, we'll admit it does take time. In fact, the average truck accident case can take up to a year, if not longer, to be resolved. As experienced truck accident attorneys serving East Haven, we're well-known for working faster than other firms.
Truck collision cases can take a bit longer than expected, though. This is largely due to the complicated nature of these cases. But know that we are working as fast as we can, without cutting corners, to make sure your outcome is satisfactory.
If you want a solid settlement that's reflective of your pain, suffering, and damages, you should talk to a personal injury lawyer at Gould Injury Law. Contact us today at 888-WIN-FAST to schedule your free consultation.