New Haven Car Accident Lawyers
You likely agree that New Haven, CT, is a wonderful area to live if you’re fortunate enough to call this place home. The city is not only teeming with historical attractions, but it also offers a wide variety of culinary destinations and a vibrant nightlife. Now, imagine that you’re driving home from enjoying dinner at one of the city’s many delicious restaurants when suddenly your vehicle is T-boned at an intersection. A motor vehicle accident will not only ruin your evening, but it could leave you with severe injuries that take weeks, months, or even years to recover from.
Recovery from a motor vehicle accident can leave you struggling physically, mentally, and emotionally. The stress of being in pain, losing your job, and worrying about mounting medical bills may feel like too much to cope with. With the help of Gould Injury Law Firm in New Haven, you can take back control of your life after an auto accident. After taking on your case, our legal team will act fast to protect your rights, seek the compensation you deserve, and offer you support during this difficult time.
The personal injury lawyers at Gould Injury Law have decades of experience helping injured victims in New Haven and throughout the state of Connecticut. Let us handle your case while you focus on what’s most important–your recovery. We pride ourselves on being the “fast firm,” and we will work hard to make sure your claim is settled quickly. Call 888-WIN-FAST today to schedule your free initial consultation.
Why Hire a New Haven Auto Accident Lawyer
After being injured in a motor vehicle accident in New Haven, you must decide if you are going to handle the claims through the insurance companies yourself or hire an attorney to help you through the process.
There are many benefits to hiring an attorney to represent you. A New Haven car accident attorney can provide a wealth of services intended to help you and your loved ones recover the maximum amount possible after a collision.
These accident services may include:
- Thoroughly investigating your accident. There are some accidents where it is clear who is at fault, and there are others that are not so cut and dry. In more complex cases, an investigation needs to be done to see who is liable for your car accident. As your lawyers, we have the knowledge and resources needed to conduct an in-depth investigation of your accident.
- Filing a claim. Filing claims with insurance companies can be a confusing process, especially if you’ve never done it before. You may not be sure how to file one or who to file against. Additional complications arise if there were multiple parties involved in the accident. As your lawyers, we will determine which parties are responsible for the accident and file the insurance claims for you.
- Filing a claim. Handling negotiations with the insurance company. Insurance adjusters want you to settle quickly for the least amount possible. The lower the amount they can get you to settle for, the more money they have in their pocket. The attorneys at our law firm are familiar with the tactics that insurance companies use. We will work aggressively and fast to ensure they don’t intentionally delay your claim, violate your rights, or try and force you to agree to low settlement offers.
- Filing a claim. Representing you in court. Most auto accident claims can be handled out of court. However, in some cases, a settlement won’t be reached and you will need to file a personal injury suit to recover the compensation you are due. As your lawyer, we will attend all necessary court dates so you will only have to attend select hearings or the final trial.
Types of New Haven Car Accident Cases We Handle in New Haven
Unfortunately, even if you are a very safe and cautious driver, you have to share the road with those who aren’t. This can lead to you getting involved in an auto accident that was not your fault.
We are experienced in handling numerous types of car accident cases in New Haven, CT, including but not limited to:
- Front-end collisions
- Side impact or T-bones
- Multi-car pileups
- Rear-end collisions
- Single car accidents
- Rollover wrecks
A motor vehicle accident can happen for any number of reasons. The following are some common causes of accidents in New Haven:
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield
- Driving while drowsy
- Drunk driving
- Disobeying traffic signals
What is the Statute of Limitations for Filing an Auto Accident Lawsuit?
It is important to file your case quickly after your accident. The state of Connecticut only allows you a limited amount of time to bring forth a lawsuit. The statute of limitations is 2 years from the date of the accident. If you miss this deadline, you will be permanently prohibited from seeking any compensation at all.
Connecticut has an at-fault car insurance system. This means that in order to receive damages from the other driver’s insurance company, you must prove that he or she was at fault for the accident. In addition, you’ll need to provide evidence of the injuries you’ve suffered. Our law firm works fast to gather the evidence needed to present a strong case for you.
Common Injuries Sustained in New Haven Car Accidents
Some people are fortunate enough to walk away from motor vehicle accidents in New Haven with hardly a scratch. Still, others sadly sustain injuries that are severe, some of which can even permanently alter a person’s life.
While money cannot in any way take away the trauma of your injuries, it can help ease some of the burden on your shoulders. The following are some injuries we have helped our clients obtain compensation for:
- Broken or fractured bones
- Cuts and bruises
- Head injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Internal organ damage
- Spinal cord injuries
After being involved in an accident, it’s important to seek medical attention even if you initially feel fine. The adrenaline coursing through your body after an accident can mask symptoms of serious injury. You could unknowingly have whiplash, internal hemorrhaging, or other major injuries. So when it comes to your health, it is recommended to err on the side of caution.
What are “Damages”?
When you are the injured party In a car accident lawsuit, “damages” or monetary compensation may be awarded to you. The compensation amount reflects the emotional, financial, and personal injury you have suffered. The goal of compensatory damages–whether awarded in a settlement or verdict–is to make the injured party “whole.” In other words, it should bring you as close to possible to the position you were in before the accident occurred.
Unfortunately, this might not always be possible, such when an injury occurred that resulted in a permanent disability. In this case, the damages awarded will be of an amount to provide the best possible quality of life.
To determine the amount of damages that should be awarded in your case, your lawyer will take the following into consideration:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income and future earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
Some victims of car accidents are also awarded punitive damages. Unlike compensatory damages, punitive damages are meant to punish the party who caused you harm and deter similar behavior in the future. For example, punitive damages might be awarded if a driver engaged in deliberate misconduct such as driving while intoxicated or acting out of road rage.
Contact Gould Injury Law in New Haven Today
If you or someone you love has been seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident in New Haven, CT, you need a law firm on your side that you can trust. At Gould Injury Law, we not only have the legal skills and experience to handle your accident case, but we genuinely care about those we represent. We understand that after an accident you are counting on the settlement money to get your life on track, so our dedicated lawyers work fast to settle your claim.
We know that you have several law firms to choose from to handle your car accident case, but those other firms may take many months to reach a settlement for you. At Gould Injury Law firm, we guarantee that we will do everything possible to get your settlement fast! Call 888-WIN-FAST to speak to one of our personal injury lawyers today. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means we don’t get paid until you do.