Whether a loved one died at the scene of the collision, on route to the hospital, or months after being struck, families of victims have the right to seek justice for their tragic loss.
Gould Injury Law is committed to advocating for accident victims and their families. When you hire us, we will work fast to get you the settlement and closure you need.
Gould Injury Law proudly and empathetically advocates for motorcycle accident victims and their families. When you hire us, we will work fast to get you the settlement and closure you need. Call 888-WIN-FAST today for a free consultation or complete the online contact form.
The Painful Results of Fatal Motorcycle Crashes
The impact of a fatal crash can be emotionally devastating. The victim’s family may experience various emotions, including intense sadness or anger. It may take years to come to terms with their death.
Furthermore, crash accidents can have financial consequences such as:
- Medical bills
- Funeral costs
- Lost income
- Property damage
- Motorcycle damage
These can all add up quickly, putting additional stress on the family and loved ones of the motorcyclist. If the victim was the family’s primary breadwinner, the family might struggle to make ends meet.
If passengers were riding on the bike when the car crash happened, they might have been hurt. If that is the case, injured victims may face medical expenses.
At Gould Injury Law, we understand the pain and suffering that families go through after a severe or fatal accident. Our team of lawyers will fight for the fast compensation you deserve.
Why Hire Connecticut Wrongful Death Lawyers
No amount of money can ever replace a lost life, but compensation can help ease the financial burden that comes with such a tragedy. If you have lost a spouse or parent in a motorcycle accident, you can file a wrongful death lawsuit against the responsible party.
When a rider is killed, it is usually the result of a collision with another vehicle. Some collisions are caused by reckless driving. Defective motorcycle parts or poor road conditions cause other incidents.
In order to file a wrongful death claim in a motorcycle accident, the surviving family members must be able to prove that the death was caused by someone else’s negligence. Gould Injury Law firm is here to help you build a solid case. When you hire our compassionate attorneys, we work fast to get you the closure and justice you deserve.
Coming to talk to us, at the very least, will be well worth your time. We can tell you whether or not you have a case. And if you do, a successful wrongful death lawsuit could result in significant financial reparation for your family, so you can move forward with some help.
Facts About Fatal Motorcycle Accidents
In recent years, motorcycle accidents have become more common in Connecticut and the entire USA. Motorcycle fatalities often happen when cars collide with motorcycles. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that in 2020, 5,579 motorcyclists were killed while 82,528 were injured.
Motorcyclists are more exposed than cars, trucks, or other vehicles. When a motorcyclist is killed in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, the rider’s family may be able to file a wrongful death claim.
Recoverable Damages After a Fatal Motorcycle Accident
The State of Connecticut allows families to seek the following damages when injuries or deaths happen after an accident:
- Economic damages: These include lost wages, medical expenses, funeral and burial costs, and other financial losses.
- Medical expenses: If the victim received treatment before he or she died or a passenger was injured, there may be high medical costs.
- Non-economic damages: This type of damage is more difficult to quantify but can include loss of companionship and mental anguish.
- Punitive damages: These damages punish the party responsible for the accident and deter future similar behavior.
- Wrongful death statutory benefits: Connecticut allows certain damages to be recovered by relatives or minor children of riders who have died in a collision. Damages may include loss of consortium damages, survivor’s benefits, and funeral expenses.
- Pain and suffering: These damages are compensation for the suffering endured by riders before dying. This may also include emotional injuries suffered by survivors.
- Property damage: Due to their larger size, passenger vehicles, trucks, and other vehicles can cause severe damage to the motorcycle and other property a rider may have been carrying.
- Lost wages: In some cases, survivors may also recover lost wages and benefits if the deceased was a primary breadwinner for the family.
After a fatal motorcycle crash has happened, time is limited to file a claim. Families must act fast to get the justice and settlement they are owed.
A Wrongful Death Lawyer Can Help Your Family
The loss of life is always painful. This is especially true if the accident occurred because of a careless driver. When fatalities happen, families may be left to deal with intense grief and financial expenses that leave them struggling to make ends meet.
After a fatal vehicle collision, you need a lawyer who will act fast to seek the settlement your family is owed. Receiving compensation sooner can ease your family’s financial burdens.
A motorcycle accident lawyer can help you pursue justice for your loved one by investigating the incident and holding the parties responsible accountable for their actions. Contact the fast-working lawyers of Gould Injury Law to discuss your case and learn more about your legal options.
Why Do Motorcycle Accidents Happen in Hartford, Connecticut?
When a motorcyclist and a car crash at high speeds, the result is often severe injuries or fatalities. The NHTSA also reported that motorcyclists are 28 times more likely to die in a crash than those driving a car or truck.
Many accidents are caused by negligent drivers who:
- Drive while distracted or texting
- Operate a car while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs
- Drive while not paying attention to the road
- Drive through an intersection without yielding the right of way
- Speed or quickly change lanes to reach an exit
- Change lanes to pass other drivers without checking blind spots
- Drive too fast for the weather or road conditions
- Are tired or unaware of surroundings
- Stop or slow down suddenly to avoid missing an exit
- Brake-check drivers or take other aggressive actions
- Refuse to acknowledge the right-of-way motorcycles have
- Swerve a car into oncoming traffic or pull out in front of a motorcycle.
Other dangerous behaviors that may lead to crashes include the following:
- Failing to yield the right-of-way: A common cause of fatal motorcycle crashes is when other vehicles fail to yield the right-of-way to oncoming motorcycles. This is one of the most common causes of deadly motorcycle crashes. Drivers may fail to see motorcyclists or simply do not respect their right to share the road. They may also underestimate how fast a bike is going and switch lanes without yielding.
- Making turns without checking for oncoming traffic: Another common mistake drivers make is turning without checking for oncoming motorcycles, especially when making left turns. This can result in serious injuries when a passenger vehicle and a motorcycle collide.
- Driving under the influence: Driving a car while intoxicated is always dangerous. Alcohol or other drugs can impair motorists’ ability to react fast to other drivers.
Hartford, Connecticut Lawyers Can Help After a Fatal Motorcycle Accident
When a crash results in a rider being pronounced dead, the deceased’s family may be overwhelmed and unsure of what to do next. When motorcyclists die due to fatal injuries, their families must act fast to seek a fair settlement. Why?
In Hartford, Connecticut, the statute of limitations to file a wrongful death lawsuit for motorcycle fatalities and other traffic deaths is 2 years. If this time limit passes, you cannot seek damages for your loss.
The attorneys of Gould Injury Law can help you navigate the legal process and obtain the compensation you deserve faster. Why? We are “The Fast Firm” and dedicated to getting you timely justice for your motorcycle accident.
We understand that no amount of money can make up for the death of a loved one, but financial compensation can help ease the burdens caused by a fatal accident. We can fight for you to get the full and fair compensation you are entitled to under the law. For a free case review, call us at 888-WIN-FAST or submit the online form.